Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Lettuce Tips

I have a great book called, "The Farmer's Wife Guide to Growing a Great Garden" by Barbara Doyen. She talks about different kinds of veggies, and how to grow, eat, and freeze them. I have never grown lettuce before, and wasn't sure how to harvest it. The Farmer's Wife talks about the differences between leaf lettuce and head lettuce, and romaine lettuce.

Harvesting Leaf Lettuce: Can be started any time. break off out leaves or cut off the whole plant about 1 and a half inches above the ground. The plants keep growing new leaves. Harvest regularly to prevent plant from going to seed. Plant is done if it grows a tall stalk with leaves on it (will be bitter at this point).

Harvesting Head Lettuce: Cut off at the ground. Roots will die.

(she doesn't specify Romaine harvest, so I will look into this a bit. I think you can do it either way)

We have a TON of arugula. My mom told me (after we planted) that arugula can become out of control and a little goes a LONG way. It's growing like wildfire. Please enjoy some of our arugula. Anytime. Also, if you'd like to borrow the book, let me know.

Farmer K

0 comments: